Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sandi's Yorkie


Sandi just sent me this picture of the Yorkie she made along with the following questions:

1.  What does "amigurumi" mean?  I think from your comment it is Japanese.  Just curious.  I looked it up but could not find it.

Amigurumi is the Japanese art of crocheting or knitting cute (emphasis on the CUTE) stuffed animals.  Ami translates as crochet or knitted and Nuigurumi means stuffed doll.

2. The Yorkie's eyes came with backings.  Did you attach yours with backing.  I wish I had but following the pattern - I stuffed and attached without thinking about the eyes.  

I actually used round black buttons with shanks so I was able to sew my eyes on after I put the doll together.  What Sandi used are Safety Eyes. These are best when you are making a toy for a small child, that way they don't come off.  Safety eyes have to be attached before you stuff the head.  Here is a video tutorial on how to attach safety eyes.

3.  I had to order the shimmer online because where I live no one heard of it or did not have it. I know that this is not your problem but it was a learning experience.

If you don't have shimmer yarns available where you live, you can order Red Heart Shimmer online from Redheart.com   or Vanna's Glamour from Lionbrand.com.


And here is a tip from Sandi on how to attach the yarn for the hair:

I attached mine by measuring the strands -Then I folded one strand in half - inserted my hook through Yorkie- pulled the folded strand through and bought the ends through the loop that was formed. Then I tightened the thread.

If you would like to make your own Yorkie you can find the pattern here.

You May Also Like:

Hello Kitty Bracelet

Penguin Stocking

Star Trek Baby Bib




No comments:

Post a Comment